Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christian Living

Galatians 2:20-21, “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.”
As Paul is writing to the church at Galatia he is speaking to a group that is being taught to live by the law. Legalism has dominated their lives and the teaching that salvation is earned by works was causing problems. Paul makes a very interesting statement, I am dead yet I live. What he is talking about is the old man and the sinful nature was crucified with Jesus on the cross. It is through Jesus that he lives and his life is because of the Son of God. The law now has no affect on his life. Then as now many felt that to be saved and get to heaven you had to work your way there. You have to be good and perfect or you will miss heaven.
Paul does not claim that godly living is not a part of salvation. In fact he makes it very clear when he says, “I am not saved because I am good, I am good because I am saved: I live by the faith of the Son of God.”
The devil would have us to believe today that you have to work your way to heaven. If you believe that way you will work yourself to death and still not get to go. Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
How much work would it take, if work were the standard for salvation, would we have to do to repay Jesus for the price He paid for us on Calvary? What kind of work would that be? How many would want that job? Paul makes a very clear statement when he says, “I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.”
Christian living is not meant to be by a set of rules that we are to follow. It is about a Person we are to follow and pattern our lives after. Because Christ loved us and gave himself for us that we should love and give ourselves for him! Christian living is to be according to Christ and His teachings not structured by rituals and traditions. Christianity is more than belonging to a church or embracing a theology it is and should be about Christ and Him crucified. When we pattern our lives after Jesus church life and fellowship with God will be greater and more fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment