Monday, April 25, 2011

What Is Your Aim

Philippians 3:13-14
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

There was a story some years ago about a man who was taken before a Justice of Peace. What was so interesting about this common occurrence was what he was charged with. His charge was not a serious crime, he was just found wandering in the fields. He was asked where he was going; he said he did not know. Questioned as to where he lived he stated he did not have a home. So he was brought before the JP and charged with wandering. The reasoning behind this charge was explained that this man appeared to be a dangerous lunatic. He had not harmed anyone nor did he have any intention to do so. It just appeared to the world this man had no aim or direction.
There are many who today have no aim. They are passing through life without any apparent direction---wandering aimlessly. They take but never are willing to give back.
Have you ever seen land where all that the land could yield was taken and nothing was ever replaced? What then is left is barren, unfruitful and wasted land. This pictures many lives today.
To know Christ, and to give one’s life to service, means to have aim and purpose in life. Paul shows us he had aim and purpose. “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Paul is not talking about salvation, he already knew Jesus as personal savior. He is speaking of finding purpose in life. His goal was set high and with God’s grace he was reaching for the stars. Paul had direction and purpose. He was not just wandering through life taking all he could and never giving back. “According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:20-21
As the man charged with wandering appeared to be a dangerous lunatic, so may any today so appear who wander about with no real direction or purpose. God created each with special talents and He fully expects those talents to be used for His glory. Paul makes it clear what his aim is, “I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

A live surrendered to Christ is one worth living. Without Christ there is no hope, with Him we have live and that life is abundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment