Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Guilty As Charged

Acts 2:22-28
Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

Peter is talking to a crowd of Jews but he could just as well been talking to a group of Baptist, "Him being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, and YE have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain." I take this very personal -- he's talking to me -- as if he's singled me out and is pointing his finger at me with the accusation -- "YOU!" “YOU killed Jesus” I know some of you may be thinking, “Now wait a minute preacher I had nothing to do with that. Peter is talking to the Jews." Yes I understand what the setting is. But you and I have everything to do with that. You and I are guilty of doing just that. Every time we listen to seducing spirits to do wrong we are nailing Jesus back on the cross. Jesus died for all of us and all of our sins, even the ones that haven't been committed. How then does that change Peter's statement for you today?

Every time we ignore Jesus, we are "helping wicked men" put Him to death. Have you ever noticed how the more you become involved in the world and what the world considers right, the less Jesus influences you. You may not have called for His execution, but when you ignore Jesus you are "helping wicked men put him to death." So may I ask how many times does He have to be crucified before we understand we are guilty of killing God’s son? In other words, you are allowing the world and its seductive nature to place Jesus in the back seat of your life -- He becomes "dead" in your life. Your sin is once again "nailing Him to the cross." Remember, the term is not "nailed," as if it happened in the past and only one time. The term used is "nailing," which is in the present tense -- meaning it continues on to this day. Are you NAILING Jesus to a cross daily?

Romans 6:6-7 teaches us that our sinful nature died with Jesus, “Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.”
What Paul is telling us is we no longer have to sin -- our sinful nature no longer controls us (we died with Christ and therefore are free from sin). The message is: Although your sin is nailing Jesus to the cross, you don't have to sin anymore -- you have a choice
What sin do you still hold on to that you need to let go of? What choice will you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment