Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Faceing Your Enemies


Psalm 27:1-3, “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.”
Sometimes it is hard to stand when all around you is in chaos. When those who oppose you all appear to have the upper hand, it is hard to hold onto positive thought. In combat everyone on both sides are scared. Bullets have no political preference and do not discriminate. Even in the worst fire fight you must stand and face your enemy. In life we all have to face an enemy of some kind. 1 Peter 5:8, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:” Satan is our worst enemy but with the Word of God we can stand against him and prevail.
During the civil war near the town of Moorefield, West Virginia a fierce battle raged. The town was between the two opposing armies and control of the town changed hands almost every day. In testimony from a Presbyterian minister a elderly woman lived in the middle of the town and in the middle of the battle. One morning enemy soldiers knocked on her door and demanded breakfast. She invited them in and asks that all to be seated while she prepared breakfast. When all was prepared and ready to be served she made a statement, “I am accustomed to reading my bible and saying a prayer before every meal, would you object if I do so now?” None objected and she took down her bible and randomly opened it. Her eyes fell on Psalm 27 and she began to read. “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” She read aloud though the last verse, “Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.”
When she finished reading she closed her bible and said, “Let us pray.” While she was praying she begins to hear movement all around the room. When she finished praying and said “amen” she opened her eyes and found she was alone in the room. All the soldiers were gone.
When faced with the enemy, turn to the word of God and trust in His strength.
When you know the Lord is near, face the enemy without fear; though an army surrounds you, you are safe; god’s arms are around you. ----Hess

No comments:

Post a Comment