Thursday, June 30, 2011

How Big Is Your Prayer

John 14:13, “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”
John15:4-7, “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”
When we pray do we pray little prayers? God is a God of great things and can do great things. Nothing is too large or too hard that God cannot do or handle. Jesus is giving us advice on how we are to seek and ask of God. First we must abide in Him or we must have Jesus living within us. As He was teaching his disciples he referred to them as branches of a vine. He being the vine and they the branches.
Have you ever tried to grow grapes from cuttings off a grape vine? You have to plant it care for it and prune off any dead wood. This cutting then takes root becomes a vine in its own right. You can’t get grapes until the cutting becomes a vine. Jesus is telling us that we cannot produce fruit on our own we must be part of the vine. We must have Him living in our hearts and minds. Only then can we produce fruit.
How big do you want your fruit to be? How much fruit do you want? That depends on how you care for the vine and how many vines you plant. Jesus said, “: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” He went on to say, “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”
Ask what ye will is a pretty strong statement. Is Jesus abiding in you and do you trust Him to do what He said He would do? Most of the time we probably don’t we are thinking small we are praying small. If you only plant one small vine you get only a few grapes. But if you plant a vineyard look what you get! We think small and we get small, we pray small and we get small. Let us not limit God by our small thinking and praying. Jesus said ask what ye will and you shall have it. Abide in me and you will have a great harvest. Large asking results in large receiving. How big are your prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment